How to Create a Wellness Vision that Inspires Positive Change
If you want to improve your health and wellness, it’s vital that you create a realistic plan that will inspire and motivate you to move forward on the path to positive change.
The first step in developing that plan is to create a personal wellness vision by imagining the future you desire and putting it into words. Follow these steps to help you develop yours:
- Identify what motivates you.
What are your unique motivators? Take some time to identify the things that motivate YOU. Some examples might be:
- Setting a good example for your children or grandchildren.
- Staying healthy so that you can be active or travel in retirement.
- The desire to feel less stressed and more energetic.
- Make it realistic, but aim to stretch a little from where you are now.
Your vision should be attainable, but not so easy that little to no work needs to be done. Imagining a future in which you have worked hard to bring about your desired positive change helps to create a target that will excite and inspire you.
- Frame it positively. Think about what you want, not what you don’t want.
In order to effectively create your vision, it’s important to keep the focus on what you want in your life, not what you don’t want. Identify specific things like how you want to look and feel, the types of activities you see yourself doing, and the people that will be by your side.
- Write it in the present tense.
Writing your vision in the present tense, as if it is already happening, is more powerful and will help you to clearly envision achieving all that you desire for your future.
Instead of writing “I will be eating healthy food and exercising regularly”, try writing “I am eating healthy food and exercising regularly.”
Once you’ve had a chance to work through the steps outlined above, you can begin formulating your vision. A visualization exercise can be really helpful for putting all of the pieces together and creating a strong mental image to carry with you. Try the following:
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be interrupted for 5-10 minutes.
- Sit comfortably, close your eyes and breathe deeply several times, until you feel peaceful and relaxed.
- Visualize a time in the future (6 months, 1 year, 2 years – whatever feels right to you). Someone is taking a picture of you. What are you doing? Describe what you see in as much detail as you can. What are you wearing? Who are you with? How do you feel?
- Imagine that you’re holding that photo in your hand. Breathe deeply several times and then open your eyes.
Now, take that picture and use it to create your wellness vision. Here’s an example to help you:
“I am energetic, fit, happy, and enjoying an active lifestyle as I head into retirement. I am honoring my needs and goals while balancing the needs of my family so that I can be a role model for my children in showing them that it is important to pursue your passion. I am productive, motivated and living a life I love.”
Once you’ve written it out, put it somewhere you’ll see it often! Use it to inspire you to achieve all that you desire.