The root cause of self-sabotage can be as simple as our busy minds getting caught up in too many details, or as deeply-rooted and complex as a lack of self-worth. The key to overcoming it is to first identify its source – or sources – to then put together a plan to shift old thought patterns and develop new ones to regain your footing and keep moving forward with your wellness goals!
In Episode 22 of the Fitlandia Podcast, I describe the exercise taught to me on using your non-dominant hand to tap into the subconscious mind to understand how stuck trauma can be related to weight loss challenges.
Well, it works for getting to the root of self-sabotage too!
Understanding Why We Self-Sabotage
You know eating healthy, managing stress and getting daily exercise are key to your overall health and well-being, so why do you sabotage your efforts? The causes can run the gamut and are unique to you, your history, and the thoughts and behaviors you’ve developed over time. The first step in overcoming those challenges is to first uncover them.
Let me give you an example of what uncovering sabotaging behavior looks like. I hear often from members that they “don’t have enough time to exercise and eat healthy meals,” but when I facilitate an exercise to help them uncover what’s really getting in the way, more awarenesses such as challenges setting boundaries at work or allowing themselves to escape life through watching television inevitable come up. Once you have that info, it’s only then where you can start to make real change.
Your Non-Dominant Hand at Work
So how does it work? While using your non-dominant hand, you’re accessing the part of your mind that holds subconscious memories because you’re slowing your mind down to a relaxed, focus state – much like in meditation, hypnosis, and Mind Zoning®. Here’s a step-by-step guide to use it yourself:
- Find a quiet space where you won’t be interrupted
- Grab a pen and a blank sheet of paper
- Take 3, long deep breaths, releasing any tension
- Ask your mind to prepare for you the insight that you need to help you on your fitness journey
- Ask a specific question for which you’re needing an answer
- Use your non-dominant hand to write out the words that come to mind – without any judgement
- Identify your learnings and determine next steps
- Take action!
Now on to the Remedy!
Awareness is the first step to change. Now your brain has been primed to make a real shift in behaviors – ones that support all of your health and wellness goals. And for that, I’m launching The Mind Zoning® Academy: a monthly, online workshop where I will guide you through a LIVE Mind Zoning® meditation, followed by a Q&A session so that you can share with me your awarenesses and get your questions answered, leaving you with real skills to enact lasting change!
As a bonus, all participants will receive:
- A professionally mixed Mind Zoning® meditation session you can play again and again
- Playback of the webinar recording to reconnect with all the insights (perfect if you can’t make it live, but still want to the benefits!)
- 50% off the next 30 Days to Thriving program to deepen your experience
Grab your webinar ticket today at: http://bit.ly/2poqbDd
And if you’re in the Portland, OR area, join me LIVE and in-person. Tickets available at: http://bit.ly/2tPfb7y
To celebrate our kick-off session, I’m offering everyone 50% off their first workshop. Enter FFF50 as the discount code. Take it to the next level and invite 3 people from your tribe to join you – you can share the code with them too!